Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Watermelon!

Carl and I spent the day after our wedding at our favorite beach with a few of our friends and River. We had an amazing time, and we had the entire beach all to ourselves. But somehow in our blissful daze we neglected to take adequate care of our dog, and she unfortunately suffered from a heat stroke and was rushed to the emergency vet. It was very traumatizing for all parties involved. We vowed to never let it happen again, yet one week later we almost went through the same experience. I was able to catch it earlier though, and River was fine.

Now we go to the beach prepared. We bring gatorade every time we take her out, and this time we brought one more thing- watermelon. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, which is what I study, watermelon is used as a preventative for heat stroke, so today I decided to try it out. I cut up a seedless watermelon before we left, and we brought a few gallon sized bags full in the cooler. I was curious to see how River would like it, and it turns out she loves watermelon. I would hold a slice for her so it wouldn't get all sandy, and she would gnaw away. Needless to say, we didn't have any heat stroke incidences today.



1 comment:

Darlys said...

I must say I am pretty jealous that you guys are still living in Hawaii, and I'm back in College Station. :) Miss yall!